How to become a Junior Lifesaver
Lifesaving is a fun activity to get involved in and can help you to make a difference in your local community.
There are many ways you can become involved as a Lifesaver
- Become a member and participate in a wide range of exciting and rewarding activities.
- Join our Rookie Lifeguard programme, the junior award of the Royal Life Saving Society, designed specifically for boys and girls aged between 8 and 12 years old.
- Learn new skills which you could use to save someone's life.
- Join our Survive and Save lifesaving programme for swimmers aged 12 years and over.
All our members promote and help to save lives, whether it is in the water or on land. The fun courses and activities we offer are designed to teach skills and techniques for when they may be needed.
- Become a young leader from 12 years plus.
- Become an assistant Instructor from 14 years plus.
Benefits of getting involved in lifesaving
- You could potentially save someone's life.
- The chance to go on training courses to learn and achieve internationally-recognised qualifications. They will also provide further opportunities for you in the future in lifesaving and in adult life.
- Improve and develop your confidence levels and communication skills.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Opportunity for personal development and empowerment.
- Lifesaving offers a fantastic foundation to a career in the leisure industry.
- The opportunity to get fit. Not only will you need a basic level of fitness, you will also be encouraged to stay fit and get fitter. Many pools will give lifeguards discounted or even free memberships.
- You get to work and be part of a team of young, like-minded people, meaning there is plenty of opportunity to increase your circle of friends and social life.
- The hours are flexible and ideal for fitting in studying.
- Show off your lifeguarding talents in events like the National Pool Lifeguard (team event) Championships and the Lifeguard Triathlon.
- Take up lifesaving as a competitive sport and compete regularly for your local club.
- Gain a life skill that will stay with you for the rest of your life.